Monday, April 7, 2014

20 already

My have the years flown! It seems like just yesterday I was a little 19 year old running around...Just kidding! I am having fun teasing all the missionaries around me about how old they are though!

This has been one great birthday week! The weather has been in the 30-40s so Sister Olsen and I have done a lot of walking around. My favorite new approach is the "Jesus loves you". We have a lot of cards with Jesus on them and walk up to people on the street and the encounter is usually something like:

Us: "Can I give you a card?"
Them: "No I'm a Lutheran."
"It's just a picture of Jesus to remind you how much He loves you."
"Oh...*takes card* I know He loves me. Thank you"

One of the people we met was a wonderful women who was walking around the park during her lunch break. It turns out she is a traveling...flu-bot-o-nist and once she walked away Sister Olsen and I tried to figure out what that was. Any ideas?
At Pine Manor we got to listen to Ray's poetry. A lot of it was about the Savior and how He has saved him. This past time we went we got on a deeper topic and we taught him about the Book of Mormon. I can't wait to talk to him again so I can help answer more of his questions. 

My Birthday: Was awesome! Sister O is the sweetest! She had a whole little thing set up with a couple present and things to surprise me. We made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Leftovers and "cake in a mug" for lunch. Then we were off to a busy day! We started off at Sister C's house - one of her friends showed up and I ended up teaching Sister C and Sister O taught her friend, so we somehow managed to teach 2 lessons at the same time. Sister O set up a return appointment and we got a new investigator we totally weren't expecting!  Then we rushed off to Sister M's. After her we went off to the P's. On the way there Sister Cutler, the mission president's wife, called to wish me a happy birthday! How sweet are they!
The time I spent at the P's was great (as always) we had taco salad and cake! The funnest part was that our Elders had previously told us that they weren't going to be able to make it. Then while Sister P and we were sitting on the couch Sister P clapped her hands and out came our Elders with our dinner. They just all love surprises. It was great! 
The Elder's gave me a card that was hilarious! The P's gave me a beautiful heart necklace. Overall it was a good, good day! 

Then there was General Conference! Most of it I was writing a ton - mainly impressions or inspiring quotes, the other part of the time I probably looked like this --->   O.O    Eyes wide trying to take it all in. I can't wait for the Ensign to come in May! I want to reread all the talks again and again!

I have a couple challenges (that you can choose from if you so wish) this week!
1. Write to me about a specific time that keeping a commandment has blessed you!
2. For the next week focus on not missing either
a) Daily family prayer
b) Daily family scripture study
3. Have FHE (the full - prayer, song, lesson, song, prayer, treat) every Monday - or once a week - for the next month. 

I've loved thinking of specific instances and blessings that I've received from living specific commandments - like keeping the Sabbath day Holy. It has really helped me come to realize all the blessings I've received and strengthened my testimony of each of them.
As for family prayer and scripture study as a missionary I have to do it and the blessings I've seen can't even begin to be explained in the short amount of time that I've had. I've come to know my Savior personally - to know that He is all merciful and powerful. His power to heal is something I'm only beginning to grasp.  It's through daily prayer and scripture study those blessings come! I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

With Buckets of Love,

Sister Kern

No comments:

Post a Comment