Monday, April 28, 2014

Another Transfer Come and Gone

What a crazy week! I loved every minute of it!

We split our P-day (so we just emailed on Monday and then on Tuesday did every thing else) because a member who lives far away signed up for dinner and we wanted to use those miles to go see other less actives too. On our way up we stopped by a member who is quiet so I haven't had the chance to really get her to open up. She was so excited when we came and welcomed us in. Then in a spur of the moment kind of way ended up driving us to her mother (who is in a nuersing home). They way so takes care of her mother is truly amazing, you can see the love and devotion she has. Then she excited explained every thing she was doing for the Trek the ward is having in July. Her conversion story is also something else, and the strength she has is inspiring!
Another wonderful thing happened at dinner that night! We got to meet the member's parents (who aren't all that supportive of her joing the church 2 years ago) and had a great discussion and before we left her father mentioned "Well I'm glad neither of you are getting transfered."

Next was on Tuesday night a member had us over and our dinner got intrupted by something totally incredible event unfolded. His sister had been in an abusive marriage and lived in Texas. They had tried several times over the last 20 years to get her back home, but to no avail. He hadn't physically seen his sister for all those 20 years. Recently his son moved down their for work and was miraculously able to meet with his Aunt! To make a long story short she finally got the courage to leave and got the soonest plane ticket home. She arrived in Milwaukee at 9 pm the next night. The prayers/fastings/pleading of all her family was finally answered. I learned a valuable lesson. Never. Never. Give up on anyone. 

I also learned a valuable lesson from a General Confrence talk by Elder Scott. "Loving them is the powerful foundation for influencing those you want to help." That quote stuck into my mind and I've pondered it many a time this week. Finally I decided to put it into action. In our lesson with Sister M (a less active) I was very blunt in teaching about church and how she needed to be there. I made sure to express my love for her and desire for her to obtain all the blessing that come from church. After asking a couple inspired questions (thanks to my wonderful Heavenly Father) I was able to get to the reason she didn't attend church. We addressed her concern and invited her once again to come. She didn't. However I believe the progress we made in that lesson was the beginning of truly helping her. After the lesson she thanked us a lot for always coming.

My spiritual thought for this week is to do more than just listen to General Confrence. Let is change you, each General Conference we need to Receive, Remember, and Apply the gospel better. To become closer and more like Christ. The words of Thomas S Monson are words from God. They are scripture - as if God himself were speaking directly to you. I have never believed this stronger than this past General Conference as I've studied diligently and with great effort and care the words that were spoken. Each talk has something in it for you! You just have to look for it (and perhaps squint your eyes and tilt your head. A little prayer before you start is never a bad idea too.)

I love you all so much and I hope you are having a wonderful Spring time!
With Buckets of Love,

Sister Kern

No comments:

Post a Comment