Monday, April 14, 2014

April Showers bring MORE snow?

It snowed 4-6 inches last night! I was just joking when I talked about having a white Easter and now it might just happen!

Anyways, I'm not even sure where to start my letter! I guess at the beginning is best...or maybe in the middle. 

Thursday - Interviews! I love interviews! President Cutler ways leaves my mind blown by one thing or another that he says. From what we talked about I have a sneaking suspicion that Sister O and I will be together another transfer...but then again I can never truly tell with him! Oh and funny story...so we can't take our garbage to the curb. We have to take it to the church dumpster once a week. We hadn't been able to do it for a while until Thursday. The only problem was we forgot it in our trunk and didn't remember until after DTM when we opened our car door to a horrible smell! Needless to say we drove all the way to Gillet with our windows rolled down.
We drove an hour up to Gillet to see the C family. They are a less active elderly couple. He is often sick because of chemo and had an infection when we were over. Luckily his wife was willing to talk with us. We had met with them a couple times before, and I had gotten the feeling she was a convert and hadn't been a member of the church very long even though they are both in their 80s. I was prompted to ask a couple bold questions which lead to a lot of discovery. Turns out she joined the church when they married (7 years ago) and she only joined so that she could marry him because he was very active in the church at the time. She hadn't even prayed about the Book of Mormon! I wasn't surprised when she talked about how she often felt out of place at church. So I committed her to read the Book of Mormon with him and pray about it. She agreed, I will find out next Tuesday about her experience.
Then we went to the Y family. She is a convert of 2 years and comes to church every week even though he is less active and hasn't come in the 4 1/2 months I've been here. We ate dinner with her and the B family. Sister Y really wants to prepare names to take to the temple, but her family isn't all that happy with her decision to join the church in the first place so she is nervous at what they will do when she asks them for information on her family. We talked a lot to her and shared a couple things from Preach My Gospel. Our council was to start by simply telling them she is interested in finding out where she came from. Then once the Spirit of Elijah is working on them, to bring up the why behind family history. 

Friday - We went up to Bonduel. I hadn't been feeling all that well, but we couldn't just go home. The lesson with the R family was so much fun! They have 3 little ones who ran around the whole time. I loved it! Then it was off to the P for dinner. Sister P gave me some cold medicine and I don't remember much else of that night. Sister O drove us home.

Saturday - I felt better and I didn't want Sister O to miss out on basketball so we went. I jammed my left ring finger, popped my hip out of place, and almost broke my glasses and my cold came full force...needless to say it wasn't my day. Don't worry though! My finger is almost back to normal, my hip is back where it should be and my glasses are still in working order. We went to the church and our wonderful elders brought me some meds (they only live 5 minutes from the church). Then we went home and watched some awesome church history movies (produced by the church so they are mission approved) I dozed in and out.

Sunday - Got to church. Taught "prayer" in Gospel Principles and "Importance of Book of Mormon" in young women's. Then there was a baptism after for a 8 year old in our ward. I took more medicine and pressed forward. After the baptism the (grandparents of the little boy) insisted we come over for lunch/dinner and so we did. I had a great time meeting a lot of their other family - a lot of which are inactive. Then it was off to A's for a quick lesson. Then to C's. We taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ using examples from his life. At the end Sister O asked them to be baptized. Their date is set for June 7th! I probably won't stay long enough to see it (transfers are April 23 then June 4th) but I'm so excited for their desire to follow the example of Christ! OH and J (a young woman) made Sister O and I braclets. They are really cool and represent "letting your light so shine". It is a white band going all the way around with blue and black on both sides of the white. Then there is a spot of yellow. Sister O found out last night that the white glows in the dark so it looks like there is light coming from the yellow, cutting through the black and blue. It's amazing!

So that was my week in a nut shell. Not sure what happened before Thursday...Oh well! It's written in my journal at home!

Spiritual thought - Look at the attached picture! In Young Women's I taught about the importance of the Book of Mormon and how it is relevant to us today. To be totally honest - the Book of  Mormon didn't mean all that much to me before. I knew I should read it - so I did. The words on it's pages though didn't mean very much to me. They were just that. Words on a page. It wasn't until I started to understand what is written on it's cover that the Book of Mormon really gained meaning for me. The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. As I studied daily from the pages to learn about Jesus Christ I started to feel a great change take place within me.
As I read the words of God contained within the pages I started to become like the people of Alma who upon Alma teaching them the words of God had "a mighty change...wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God" (Alma 5:13). The change that took place in them started happening in me. I wanted to become better, to become like Jesus Christ. The Son of God that was spoken of so much in the Book of Mormon. Through reading and truly pondering and studying it's pages I've been able to come to know my Savior all the more personally. He is no longer some being that lived so long ago - He is my Redeemer and He redeems me still, each and every day. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it has power through the Holy Ghost to truly change a persons desire and will to that of our Heavenly Fathers. My challenge this week is to study from the scriptures about Christ each day and ponder the fact that because He suffered for us, died and was resurrected we too can live again. Not only live again, but live with our Heavenly Father and our families for eternity. All because of Him.

I love you all and hope you have a terrific week and an even better Easter!

With Buckets of Love,
Sister Kern


P.S. I want to thank everyone for the wonderful birthday cards I receive! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment