Monday, October 21, 2013

A little different Oct. 21

I decided to write my letter a little different today.

Highlight of my week: We received a HQ referral for a man named Neil. He had taken all the missionary lessons and was almost baptized 2 years a go because he as Asperger's Syndrome and is afraid of people judging and rejecting him because of it (he is also afraid of water). He is a sweet guy and despite not liking crowds he came to church the day after our first lesson! His mom is also extremely supportive of him and sits in on our lessons even though she isn't really interested. However when we explained the kingdoms of glory and outer darkness she said, "That sounds so much better than what I was taught at my Catholic church growing up, so much more loving"

Friend of the week - Keith and Carol: They are doing great! We went over baptism by immersion (Keith and thought it was being sprinkled with Holy Water kind of deal) and we taught them the Word of Wisdom, challenging him to stop smoking. Turns out he had already made plans to stop (getting help from a local "stop smoking" group here in Green Bay). God has definitely prepared both of them. The only problem is that they have yet to make it to church :/

Pictures: Sister Taylor and I with our pumpkins that we painted last Monday.

Our ward is so great! They are very missionary minded and have us over to eat a lot. We had dinner Monday-Friday this week (poor elders barely have any). A family fed us at IHop to celebrate their daughters birthday. Had a blast at Bingo! One Tuesday we went to a less actives..it had been pouring rain for the last two days and the GPS took us down a dirt road in our little Chevy Malibu, we were sure that we were going to get stuck. In the middle of the woods. With no cell service. Luckily Heavenly Father was on our side and we made it safely there; only to discover there is another way that is all paved road. Ah well I always like an adventure anyways! Oh and on Sunday my companion, me, and an Elder sang during sacrament and the other Elder played the piano. Yup, never thought I'd do something like that. We sang Savior Redeemer of my Soul (a different version than in the hymn book).  My companion really has an amazing voice as does the Elder, both have been in choir and musicals (so thankfully they sing loud). Sister H came alone to listen to us, as did another investigator. Which was great that why were  both able to make it! They ward was really friendly to our guest and so I hope it went well, we didn't have a chance to talk to him after Priesthood, but I know the Elders took good care of him. Next Monday I'm getting my hair cut, short. How short? I'm going to leave that us to her, it's just becoming to much of a hassle! I'll make sure to send a picture the next Monday!

Spiritual thought: (Alma 62: 48-51) "And the people of Nephi began..to grow exceedingly rich. BUT notwithstanding their riches, or their strength...they were not lifted up in the pride of theirs eyes: neither were they lsow to remember the Lord their God, but they did humble themselves exceedingly before him....they did pray unto the Lord their God continually, insomuch that the Lord did bless them" When we humble ourselves before God, He will bless us. To stay humble (and become humble) we must pray continually. Giving thanks and acknowledging his hand in all things. Admitting our faults and pleading for help and strength. By doing this, God has promised each of us that we will prosper - not always physically or monetarily, but sometimes spiritually or in other small ways like our relationship within our family, less stress in life. I know this to be true. I've seen it again and again through my life, especially on my mission. The more I pray and become humble the more blessings I receive in teaching, finding, and loving others.

Anyways KUTS (keep up the spirit) and don't forget to pray often, study hard, and listen even harder. Heavenly Father answers prayers - those that you ask and those that you need. He is always there. Always watching over each of you! 
With Buckets of Love,
Sister Kern


P.S. If you haven't read Jesus the Christ. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment