Monday, March 3, 2014

March

February has been one crazily insane week! For starters WE HAVE A BAPTISMAL DATE!!!! It's the first date that Shawano has had in over 5 months. Our lesson was on Jesus Christ - his birth, baptism, and Atonement. The lesson was great with the Spirit powerfully testifying of it's truth. Then Brother K asked S to be baptized. (To explain a little: Sister O and I felt prompted to have Bro K ask him. Bro K is a talker. He can talk about pretty much for a long time. For this lesson he was pretty close to silent. He was so nervous to ask! He did a great job though). He will be baptized on March 22, 2014!

One thing I've learned very well as a missionary is not to take anything personal. Every door that is slammed in my face isn't a big deal. For instance, we went and tried to visit a less active the other day and he opened the door and started yelling at us saying (something to the effect of) "What do you think you were doing, coming here last week on a Sunday night at 8 o'clock at night!" Sister O and I stood there shocked a bit, before I said, "I'm not sure what you are talking about." Then he kind of took a step back and said, "Well I'm not interested, bye." I just laughed it off, I'm glad he was able to use us as a source to get his anger out!

The only slight downside to my week was at church...we had our 3 friends at church. C is a talker and ended up talking for 20 minutes of the lesson, which isn't really bad or good. Then an elderly gentlemen of our ward who is hard of hearing (and sitting right next to him) leaned over to his friend and said (at normal volume) "can someone get him to shut up", what's even worse is that his friend didn't hear him and so he had to say it again! Sister O and I just looked at each other in ...well the picture will explain our reaction... I don't think he heard, but his caretaker (he is in a wheel chair) did and wasn't too happy. I'm not sure how to easily smooth this one over, but I don't think it'll be too big of an issue.

To try and get a better relationship with our ward we have been going to a lot more activities (such a MUTUAL). This week was DODGE BALL...and I realized that I don't really like dodge ball. The great thing was that L and R (who are part of a family we are teaching) came! I got to play basketball with R afterward, she is an amazing young woman.

I have to give props to a member we went to dinner with the other day. E has been a member for 2 years now after she found out about the church through her less active husband's mom. She lives in an apartment above her parent's house, which is above their restaurant. Her family drinks, swears, and does most things that she now can't do. Yet, her testimony and determination to do what is right is...awe inspiring. Every Sunday she faithfully attends church alone (or occasionally with her mother in law) and despite temptation all around her, literally, she stays strong to what she knows.

One analogy I've come to love is "feeding yourself spiritually". Our bodies need food - they need 3 sqaure meals a day or they become unheathly. Likewise our spirits need 3 square meals a day of a different sort. Our spirit's diet can range from the Book of Mormon, Bible, Ensign, and Conference talks to uplifting music and wholesome movies.  Just like a physical meal isn't complete without grains, meat, dairy, fruits, and vegetables our spiritual meals aren't complete without prayer,  pondering, asking, and listening. My challenge to you this week is to try to "eat" 2-3 square meals a day. I promise you as you do so that you will feel a difference physically, spiritually, and mentally. You will have more energy, feel more hopefully, and recongnize God's love for you each day.

I love you all! I hope you have a fantastic March!


With Buckets of Love,

Sister Kern

No comments:

Post a Comment